The Fulbright Program dates back to 1946 when a unanimous decision was made with respect to “promotion of international goodwill through the exchange of students in the fields of education, culture, and science”. The core of the Fulbright mission lies in their fundamental principle of international partnership. Under this program, graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad can study and conduct research in the United States. The program operates in more than 160 countries with over 8000 students, both domestic and international, benefiting from this scholarship every year. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is administered by binational Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or US embassies.
The Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board is a 12 member board appointed by the US President. They set policies and procedures for the program and take the final call for selection of the recipients of this award. This board ensures a smooth conduct of the program, both in the US as well as abroad. Ever since its inception, the Fulbright Foreign Student Program has awarded scholarships to over 3,90,000 students.
Benefits Of The Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The Fulbright Program is an excellent opportunity for international students to pursue their higher education in the United States of America. Applicants can choose from a wide range of courses and benefit out of it in many ways, a few of which include
- It provides a unique opportunity to graduate students, young professionals, and artists by encouraging them to study and conduct research in the US.
- This program covers tuition fees, airfare, a living stipend, health insurance in the US. It basically covers funding for the duration of study.
- Nearly 4,000 international students are awarded with this scholarship every year.
- It accepts and awards applicants from all fields of study including interdisciplinary ones, except medicine.
Looking for affordable student accommodation near your choice of university and an education loan? All you have to do is click on the banners on this page!
Eligibility For Applying To The Fulbright Foreign Student Program
The program eligibility and selection criteria vary largely from country to country. To find out details regarding the eligibility and application guidelines of the Fulbright for international students in your home country, visit the Fulbright Foreign Student Program website. However, in all cases, the standard requirements for applicants are as follows –
- Applicants must meet the citizenship requirements
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
- Applicants must have an excellent academic background
- Applicants must have a well-defined project
- Applicants must possess strong leadership abilities
Types Of Fulbright Foreign Student Program Scholarships
Under the Fulbright Program, foreign students can opt from three types of scholarships based on what they want to pursue in the US.
- The Fulbright Postgraduate Scholarship: This program is specifically for foreign graduate students who wish to pursue their postgraduate studies or conduct research in a US based university.
- The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Grant: This award is granted to those foreign students who have a keen interest in conducting post-doctoral research in a US institution.
- The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA): This program is designed to develop America’s knowledge of languages by encouraging teaching assistantships in over 30 languages at different US universities.
Documents Required For Fulbright For International Students
If you wish to apply for the Fulbright scholarship program, make sure you have the following documents:
Official transcripts – Recent report cards, Bachelors’ degree transcripts, scanned transcripts explaining the grading system of the university.
CV/Resume – For the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, your CV should include your educational qualifications, professional experience, awards and honours (academic and co-curricular), research experience and publications if any.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – Make sure that you have taken the GRE test before the application deadline so that you can submit your scores along with the application. If you haven’t completed the GRE test, see to it that you have attached the registration slip for the exam, and you can upload the scores later.
Letters Of Reference/Recommendation – A minimum of 3 letters of recommendation are required to be submitted out of which one should be academic and one should be professional.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program does not make it mandatory for submitting the below mentioned documents but if these documents talk about your achievements in any field, they will contribute to a higher probability of being selected.
- Work experience certificates
- Certificates for extracurricular activities
- Certificates for volunteering activities
- Merit Certificate
- TOEFL result
- GMAT result
- Admission Offer
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog on How To Apply For The Fulbright Foreign Student Program. If you are interested in knowing more about scholarships in the US like the one mentioned in this blog, check out the different scholarships available on UniScholarz and choose from a wide range of scholarships.
If you wish to know more about studying in the US, these blogs might be of interest: