Australia is a famous study abroad destination for Indian students as well as international students from around the world. While a highly renowned quality education system is one of the many advantages, students also want to visit the country’s many tourist attractions. Furthermore, while education in Australia is less expensive than in the United States (the top choice for students intending to study abroad), living expenses in Australia are relatively high. As a result, students who study in Australia can earn a substantial amount of pocket money to supplement their living expenses while also enjoying their stay in the country. And the country provides more than just work authorization in Australia while studying. Now, let’s get into everything you need to know about part-time jobs in Australia for international students.
Everything About Part-Time Jobs In Australia For International Students
Work Permissions On Student Visa
Student visas in Australia have changed as of July 1, 2016. Subclasses 571 – 576 have now been merged into Subclass 500. According to the new rules, students travelling to Australia on Visa Subclass 500 are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight while the course is in session and an unlimited number of hours when the class is not in session (during breaks). The only restriction is that the student cannot begin working until the course begins.
A fortnight is also defined as a 14-day period beginning on a Monday and ending on the Sunday of the very next week. The hours can be divided as the student sees fit. A student, for example, may work 10 hours in week one and 30 hours in week two, or 15 and 25 hours, respectively. Students should keep in mind that in the preceding example if the student works for 30 hours in week 2, he or she can only work for 10 hours the following week or else the condition of 40 hours in a fortnight is violated, which can result in visa cancellation. A student looking for consistent part-time jobs in Australia for international students should limit their work to about 20 hours per week.
Working While Studying In Australia: A Few Things To Remember
- Students are unable to work until the session begins. For example, if your course begins in January 2021 and you arrive in Australia by December 2020, you will be unable to work until your session begins.
- This limit does not apply if casework is a regular part of the curriculum of the course in which you are enrolled. This is usually true in the case of required internships as part of integrated courses.
- Furthermore, when the research work or doctoral thesis begins, students in the Post Graduate Research Sector can work for an unlimited number of hours. In addition, if the student has enrolled in any preliminary courses, he or she is eligible to work under the 40-hour-per-fortnight rule mentioned above.
- Students who have completed their Australian studies can apply for a Post Study Work Permit under the Graduate Stream. Students enrolled in an ELICOS, on the other hand, are not eligible to apply for a Post Study Work Permit in Australia.
What Laws Apply To International Students Working In Australia While Studying?
When it comes to working while studying, the Australian government gives all students the same privilege of part-time jobs in Australia for international students. As a result, you have the right to
- A minimum wage is defined by the Fair Work Act of 2009.
- A job dismissal that was deemed unfair is being challenged.
- Pauses and rest periods
- A work environment that is both healthy and safe
COVID19 Pandemic Visa For International Students In Australia
After Australia’s restrictions are lifted in 2020 and 2021, students who apply for a student visa in March 2022 will be able to work for 40 hours per fortnight during their studies. This visa allows students to enrol in critical skill sectors where part-time jobs in Australia for international students and public assistance are in high demand. Travel and tourism, healthcare/childcare, food processing, agriculture, and other industries are classified as critical skills. For the time being, the subclass 408 visa has been introduced to bridge the 68% unemployment gap and hire more and more part-time students. This is a temporary visa that is only valid for a limited time. This visa is still in effect as of March 2022, and according to Australian Government sources, the visa may be fully operational until there is no significant gap between employment.
Best Part-Time Jobs For International Students In Australia
If you are a professional pursuing further education in Australia, you can apply for and obtain part-time jobs in Australia for international students that are commensurate with your qualifications. Apart from that students prefer working in the following industries.
- Retail sales positions in supermarkets and department stores.
- In dining establishments, cafes, and bars.
- In hotel and motel rooms.
- Agriculture and related activities.
- Telemarketing and sales.
- Administration or clerical positions in various businesses.
- As a private or university tutor.
Finally, Australia provides excellent part-time employment opportunities for international students. While it would not be enough to cover tuition, it is usually sufficient to support a moderate way of life. Furthermore, there are numerous options available. As a result, if you plan to study in Australia, rest assured that there is more to it than just good education.
PS: If there’s anything more you’d like us to know about. Add it to the comments section!
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog on ‘Part-Time Jobs In Australia For International Students’. Do check out our other blogs.
- Why Should You Write A Thank You Letter For Scholarships?
- What is A Joining Letter?- All You Need To Know
- 2021 Best Universities For Event Management In Canada
Get Personalised Counselling Expert
Get Personalised Counselling Expert