The United States of America is known to have the largest international population. Every state in the US is characterized by a unique culture making it a very diverse country. International students are inspired to pursue their PhD in management in the USA because of its renowned Universities offering a number of courses from the management field. Even though the share of Phds in management in the US is comparatively lesser than PhDs in other fields, the number of universities opening up for PhD in management are marginally increasing. If you are planning to embark on a PhD journey, make sure to do your research on eligibility and PhD entry requirements early on.
Why Choose To Pursue A PhD In Management In The USA?
- The USA offers a very flexible curriculum to its PhD students enabling them to conduct an independent study with a scholarly research. This allows them to gain an in-depth understanding of their field while undergoing practical training.
- A major advantage for international students who are interested in the field of management is that even undergraduate students can apply and pursue a PhD in management in the USA. It is not mandatory for students to have completed their masters’ degree to study a PhD.
- The duration of a typical PhD course in the US takes about six years which is longer compared to the UK and Europe.
- The USA is known for its encouraging nature thereby giving the international students a chance to procure a fully funded program.
- There are a number of job opportunities for students from top firms like McKinsey, Morgan Stanley, SEC, and more, who are known to give preference to PhD students when it comes to recruiting.
- If the students submit an excellent research paper in the initial years, they get to choose the project topic of their choice by the third year. The decision regarding choosing a topic in Europe and the UK is usually taken during the application process itself.
Cost Of Studying PhD In Management In The USA
The tuition fees largely depend on the University. Public universities require a lesser amount compared to the private universities. It ranges from $26,000 to $40,000 depending upon the college. Usually, 80% of the funding for the PhD students is taken care of by the University. In case of any extra fees that are to be covered, students can take up teaching and research assistantship where they could assist the professors in teaching by taking up recitation classes or tutoring the students and also help with extensive on-ground research.
Eligibility Criteria For Studying PhD In Management in The USA
- A bachelor’s degree that is equivalent to four years of study is the minimum basic requirement for applicants. The misconception that a masters’ is mandatory for pursuing a PhD has been removed.
- PhD applicants their GMAT or GRE scores to meet the university requirements.
- While some universities require a mandatory submission of IELTS and TOEFL scores, some universities waive it off if your medium of study was English.
- An updated resume, a minimum of 2 – 3 letters of recommendation, a transcript, and an essay is to be submitted and approved by the respective university so that you can get a call for the interview round.
Research Topics For A PhD In Management In The USA
Students can choose their topic of choice from a number of fields for pursuing their doctoral studies. They include:
- Organisational behaviour
- Operations and Strategy
Career Opportunities For A PhD In Management In The USA
Usually, most of the students pursuing a PhD in management, take up teaching jobs as professors in top business schools all over the world. There are stages to career growth while doing research.
Stage 1 – Research and Publishing
This is the primary stage and it concerns everything related to in-depth study and publishing of your research thesis.
Stage 2 – Teaching and Delivery
Most of the students start this process by assisting their professors in teaching. This then grows into a full-time profession once their course is completed.
Stage 3 – Consulting and Advisory
At this stage, the ‘students turned professors’ consult and/or advise senior executives from different companies.
Stage 4 – Administration
Here, the senior professors administer and head different departments within or outside the institute.
Universities Offering PhD In Management In The USA
Below is a list of few of the Universities in the USA along with the course specifications –
|Doctor of Business Administration – Energy Management|
|Education Management and Specialist – Reading and Literacy Leadership|
|Management – Human Resources Management|
|University of Arizona||Management Information Systems|
|Texas State University||Computer Science – Information Management Concentration|
|University of Arizona||Management – Management and Organizations|
Documents Required For A PhD In Management In The USA
The following documents are to be submitted while applying for a PhD in management:
- Your academic record
- A letter of recommendation
- GRE/GMAT score
- Research Proposal
- IELTS/TOEFL score
- PhD entrance exam score
- A letter of motivation
Finding A Supervisor For A PhD In Management In The USA
Doing a research and identifying the key people who could supervise your research during the duration of your PhD programme is beneficial. Apart from your academic background and entry scores, the success of your application depends on whether an academic department can provide you with supervision specific to your topic of research.
We hoped you enjoyed reading this blog. Pursuing a PhD course in the USA could be quite challenging given the amount of work that students have to put forth. Managing personal and professional lives and bringing a balance between the two could be stressful. In order to get some balance, UniAcco has some self-help guides that you should follow before proceeding.
- How To Wake Up Early For A Disciplined University Life
- Steps To Cope With Homesickness
- Exams Stressing You Out? Here Are Some Motivational Quotes To Get You Through