Summer is the season for the sun, Slurpees and scholarships. When the world and its educational institutions take a break in the Summer season, they encourage students to pursue their hobbies and extracurricular activities during that time. This includes learning new instruments, sports or getting the experience of studying or working abroad on a scholarship. Study abroad scholarships for summer have always been in high demand throughout the world and with good reason. Summer break scholarships help students to gain extra credits and upgrade their resumes with an edge of industrial or voluntary experience.
Top Study Abroad Scholarships For Summer
Here are the most easily accessible summer break scholarships for the year 2021 and 2022.
Benjamin G. Gilman International Scholarship
Funded by the US Department of State’s the Benjamin scholarship is offered to students who wish to study abroad but do not have the financial means. All American students who are enrolled in public or private academic institutions located in 50 states and Puerto Rico are eligible to apply. The program is available in more than 150 countries and has benefitted over 30,000 students since 2001. The scholarship is granted to induce self-motivation among students to learn new cultures, languages and intern abroad during summer break.
Eligibility For Gilman Summer Scholarship
- Only American students can apply for this scholarship.
- Undergraduate students who have a good academic standing and are enrolled in either 2 years or 4 years of study.
- The Gilman scholarship usually offers internships or study abroad programs. However, a virtual international program for the year 2021 is available.
- The Benjamin Scholarship can only be redeemed if the course/internship or program lasts for at least two to four weeks.
The Gilman Summer Break Scholarship amounts range from $500 to $5000. The amount awarded to you depends on the quality of your application as well as your need for financial assistance. The scholarship amount also depends on the length of your program, overall program costs and the expenses provided by your financial advisor.
What Does The Selection Criteria Depend On?
The selection of a Gilman scholar is done considering the following:
- Impact of the program and destination of study, on your academic and professional progress.
- Community impact made at home and the intention to offer community service abroad.
- Academic progress and standing. This is measured based on your past academic performance.
- Experience and diversity of background.
- Need for financial support.
CEA Study Abroad Scholarships For Summer
The Columbus Education Association (CEA) is committed to improving students’ employability and enhancing their global competence. With funds over $2.0 million gathered each year, CEA encourages students to expand their horizons and take up challenges beyond their home countries. Students can choose from three categories of scholarships: merit-based, diversity and need-based. You can also opt to intern abroad or combine your academic and professional path by choosing an integrated, study+internship program.
For the year 2021, CEA has limited its scholarship to merit-based and diversity-based awards.
Eligibility For Merit-Based & Diversity-Based Summer Break Scholarship
- You must be willing to study or intern abroad. This means virtual programs are not covered through this program.
- You are eligible for a CEA scholarship if you aim to study at a CEA affiliated institute.
- You should be able to write a winning scholarship essay that you will have to submit with your online scholarship application. This essay is your gateway to the scholarship.
- The essay must not exceed 400-500 words and should be original.
- To obtain the merit-based scholarship, you need to achieve at least a minimum of 3.0 on a scale of 4.
- To be specifically eligible for the diversity-based scholarship, you must come from a diverse background. Diversity-based scholarships are also offered to students with disabilities.
Study abroad scholarships for summer offered by CEA range between $400 – $1000.
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships For Summer
AIFS Study Abroad Programs offers unique opportunities to students by offering them the financial means to study internationally. Introduced in the year 1964, more than 1.5 million students have benefitted from this scholarship program. The program is all-inclusive and aims to create a diverse cohort of students who are prepared to experience student life abroad.
You can apply to an AIFS Summer session if you want to study in Asia, Europe, the UK, Australia, South Africa and America. ‘
Benefits Of the AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships For Summer Sessions
The scholarship award varies from $200 to $1000, depending on the quality of your application and other factors. The decision made by the AIFS selection committee is final. Apart from that all AIFS scholars will be offered assistance for their study and stay abroad. This includes a housing and meal plan for the duration of your stay. You may also choose to stay independently in private housing or in a residence hall. The scholarship also covers your air tickets to and from your home country and country of destination. The student advisory committee will always be there to guide you throughout your visit to the foreign country offering assistance for budget, travel and tour.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must submit all your academic transcripts and obtain a minimum of 50% in all subjects in all years of study.
Corrine Jeannine Schillings Scholarship
The Corrine Jeannine Scholarship is dedicated to preserving the memory of Girl Scout, Corrine Jeannine Schillings. The scholarship is specially offered to girl students and women who want to pursue their undergraduate studies in a foreign language and culture.
Eligibility For Jeannine Schillings Summer Scholarship
This scholarship is only offered to women, especially to those who wish to study a foreign language and culture. To be considered for this scholarship, you must submit a letter of recommendation from a girl scout member who is not related to you in any way. In addition to that, you must also provide evidence of being accepted into a college or university abroad. This means you must apply to your university before you apply for this scholarship and then submit a letter of acceptance with your scholarship application.
Jeannine Schilling’s scholars are eligible for an award worth $1000 that is non-renewable.
Thanks for reading this blog on Study Abroad Scholarships For The Summer of 2021 and 2022. If you found this article interesting and helpful and want to learn more about scholarships available around the world, the following may be of interest: