Who wouldn’t want to go to a country where food is the essence of everything? Infact, the Koreans greet someone with “Have you eaten rice” instead of “How are you” because rice is so ingrained in their culture. Studying in South Korea will be a fun experience as you learn their new and unique cultures while adapting to their fast-paced technology. If you’re looking for options to pursue your higher studies in South Korea, be sure to get some financial assistance to fund your studies. On that note, we have a list of study abroad scholarships in South Korea for you to apply to.
According to The Korea Times, around 1,23,858 international students come to study in South Korea every year. See this chart below to know what kind of a global mix Korea has.
Source: The Korea Times
While a large number of international students in South Korea hail from China, countries like Vietnam and Mongol are gradually adding to the count. Moreover, a rising population of students in Japan, the US, and Russia have realized the education potential of Korea. Just imagine, this data is from 2017 when access to study abroad scholarships in South Korea weren’t even as popular! Now, with good access to financial aid for overseas students, the South Korean universities are witnessing a diverse environment of students from different backgrounds.
Study Abroad Scholarships In South Korea
Global Korea Scholarship
The purpose of the Global Korea Scholarship is to provide international students with opportunities to conduct advanced studies in undergraduate & graduate programmes at higher educational institutions in South Korea in order to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between countries. Under these study abroad scholarships in South Korea transferring between universities is not allowed.
Who Is Eligible?
Global Korea Scholarships are those study abroad in Korea scholarships that you can apply for only if you’ve fulfilled the following criteria:
- Both an applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin.
- Applicants should not hold Korean citizenship
- Applicants should have adequate health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a foreign country for a long time
- Should be under 25 years of age at the date of entrance for UG students and under 40 years of age at the date of entrance for PG students
- Have finished or be scheduled to finish formal education of all elementary, middle, high school courses by the date of arrival. (Undergraduate)
- Possess a grade point average (G.P.A.) above 80% from the last educational institution attended
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree by the date of arrival. (Graduate)
- Applicants who have previously achieved in any undergraduate programme, master’s programme, or doctoral programme in Korea cannot apply for this programme
If you’re applying for the Global Korea scholarships, you get a set of privileges. From these study abroad scholarships in South Korea, you get the following benefits:
Airfare costs, a resettlement allowance, living allowances, medical insurance, language courses, full tuition fees, language courses, completion grant, and many more.
Yonsei International Scholarship
Yonsei University is a popular South Korean university with a huge international population. The Yonsei International Scholarship programmes are great scholarship opportunities for international students. In the year 2020, there were more than 5000 international students enrolled in a course at Yonsei University out of which approximately 500 students were able to obtain a scholarship to study in South Korea. The institute offers a number of undergraduate and graduate scholarships to Indian as well as international students.
List of Scholarships Offered by Yonsei University For International Students:
- Need-based, merit-based and admissions scholarship offered by Yonsei University at Underwood International College (UIC).
- Graduate Scholarships such as the Graduate Leader Fellowship covers tuition fees for four semesters for Master’s and PhD and six semesters for joint degrees.
This is a merit-based scholarship and you are eligible to apply for these study abroad scholarships in South Korea only if you obtain 3.4 on a scale of 4.0 to renew this scholarship. Outstanding international student scholarship: It is offered to students who are recommended by each department and score a minimum of 3.4 on a scale of 4.0. However, a scholar is chosen only once per semester.
Benefits: The benefit of the scholarship extends beyond covering your tuition fees. You will be provided with a living expense, monthly stipend and settlement allowance for relocation.
The Korea Government Scholarship Programme
The Korea Government Scholarship Programme provides scholarships to study in South Korea to non Korean students and overseas Korean students to pursue their undergraduate studies as well as their postgraduate studies. This programme was initiated with the aim of promoting international exchange in education, as well as mutual friendship amongst the participating countries.
The eligibility criteria for these study abroad scholarships in South Korea are the same as that of the Global Korea Scholarships. However, keep a note that your application will be valid only if:
- You apply for the Korean Government Scholarship Programme via either the Embassy Track or via Kookmin University
- You choose 3 desired universities out of the 65 universities (including Kookmin University)
- You may choose only 1 desired university (Kookmin University) out of the 65 universities
- Institutions accepting applications :116 overseas Korean embassies or 65 designated Korean universities
- If you submit your applications to more than one of the aforementioned institutions, you will be disqualified immediately
Common FAQs Asked by students:
What is the cost of studying in South Korea?
Domestic students and international students pay the same amount. This was a scheme adopted by the Korean government to provide fair treatment to all students (and therefore, attract a huge international population). Overall, it costs an average of $4,350 per semester for public universities, $5,800 for private ones, and $6,500 for Korea’s top universities.
Is studying in Korea worth it?
If you are interested in learning the Korean language, then yes! Studying in Korea is definitely worth it! Moreover, with the financial support that you get, you are benefitting in two ways: a) You get access to top quality education, Korean language programmes, and employability b) You also get to fund your expenses that you will incur during the course of your study.
Thanks for reading our blog on Study Abroad Scholarships In South Korea, if you are interested in knowing more about international scholarships, the links below should be helpful to you: