Canada is one of the most popular destinations in the world for higher education. With leading universities, robust educational infrastructure and a relatively affordable cost of living, thousands of international students enroll at Canadian universities. However, when it comes to the number of scholarships, Canada falls just short of countries like the USA, UK and Australia. But this doesn’t mean you can’t find any good scholarships for Canadian students. To help you with your search, UniScholarz has compiled a list of the best Canadian scholarships for international students.
Get started with your education loan service by clicking on the banners today!
Criteria For Scholarships For Canadian Students
Most scholarships for Canadian students are merit based scholarships. This means that scholarship applicants must have good academic scores. However, other factors like your chosen destination, subject and level also have an impact on the likelihood of securing a Canadian scholarship. Some scholarship programmes also take into account factors like extracurricular activities and volunteering. Scholarships for Canadian students also insist on English language proficiency. Applicants interested in Canadian scholarships need to declare scores of an English language proficiency test such as IELTS.
How Much Money Is Available Through Scholarships?
The amount of money available and type of award varies between various scholarship programmes. Getting a Canadian scholarship is very competitive, therefore, we recommend you must apply well ahead in time. Start with the procedure about 8-12 months before the preferred intake begins.
Best Scholarships For Canadian Students
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships is an undergraduate scholarship programme for students who wish to study at the University of Toronto in Canada. This scholarship aims to recognize and reward international students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and creativity and who are recognized as leaders within their school. Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships are applicable to all Bachelor’s programmes at the University of Toronto including Bachelor’s of Arts in Economics and Bachelor’s of Business Administration. This scholarship awards around 37 deserving students with a scholarship of Rs 37,08,085/- each. The scholarship amount can be used towards Tuition & Fees and Accommodation.
Applicant must be:
- An international student.
- An original and creative thinker committed to school and community.
- A high achiever in academic and creative pursuits.
- Enthusiastic about learning and intellectual exploration.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills.
- Currently in their final year of secondary school or have graduated no earlier than June 2020.
- Beginning the studies at the University of Toronto in September 2021 (students already attending post-secondary studies cannot be considered; students starting their studies in January 2021 at another post-secondary institution cannot be considered).
Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program is a unique postgraduate scholarship programme awarded by the University of Waterloo. This scholarship aims to encourage excellence in graduate studies in public universities located in Ontario. The Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program is classified as a merit-based scholarship and hence awarded to Ontario’s best graduate students in all academic disciplines. This scholarship is open only to international students. Five students stand to win the Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program every year, and it comes with an award of Rs 8,47,950/- per winner. This scholarship is applicable to students from over 240 other countries, making it one of the best scholarships for Canadian students.
- Be registered full-time in a graduate degree program; students who can only register part-time because of permanent disabilities may still be eligible.
- Have achieved a first-class average, minimum of 80%, in each of the last two full-time academic years.
- Applicants must mention relevant volunteer, leadership and academic work experience.
Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute Scholarship
The Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute Scholarship programme offers various scholarships at different levels from graduate to post-doctorate and from research to training fellowships. The value of this fellowship is between CAD 500 – 1,000. Expenses that are not provided by the applicant’s home institution, and related to subscription of online meeting software, internet connection, telephone bills, affiliation fee or registration fee to access library or lab facility will also be considered, if any.
Eligibility for Shastri Indo-Canadian Post-Doctoral Student Scholarship –
- Have a doctoral degree awarded by Indian or Canadian University/ institution.
- Be registered as a postdoctoral fellow with member Institution of SICI.
- Apply for this scholarship within five years of receiving a doctoral degree.
- Be proficient in oral and written English.
- Preferably be in the age group of 30-45 years.
Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
The Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan is an international scholarship programme under which member governments offer scholarships and fellowships to citizens of other Commonwealth countries. This scholarship programme comprises travel, living allowance and the compulsory tuition fees. It also includes Graduate Students Exchanges (GSEP), which provide $10,000 for transportation, living and other expenses in Canada for 5-6 months. This scholarship is eligible only to students who are pursuing their Master’s in Canada. These scholarships for Canadian students accept applications till Sep 2021.
- Must be residing in one of the commonwealth countries at the time of application.
- Must have completed tertiary education in English medium.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is one of the best scholarships for Canadian students studying abroad. These scholarships help qualified doctoral students to pursue their postgraduate and research programs in Canada. The scholarship program is applicable to around 20+ Canadian universities. There are 166 Vanier CGS scholarships handed out every year, where each recipient receives 50,000 CAD per year.
- Must be Canadian citizens, Permanent residents of Canada or International students.
- Must be nominated by only ONE Canadian university, approved under the Vanier CGS quota like UofT, UCalgary, etc.
- Must conduct Research in either Natural sciences and/or engineering research, Health research or Social sciences and humanities research.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships are open to foreign nationals who are applying to a doctoral program in the social sciences and humanities. It is also open to registered full-time in the first or second year of such a program at a Canadian university. Preference is given to candidates from the developing world. Its annual value is up to $60,000 per scholar for a maximum of three years. Up to 16 doctoral Scholars are selected each year and receive generous funding for their studies. Recipients receive up to $60,000 per year for a maximum of three years ($40,000 per year to cover tuition and reasonable living expenses plus up to $20,000 per year as a research and travel allowance). These are one of the most prestigious scholarships for Canadian students.
- Must be accepted into or in year one, two, or three of a full-time doctoral program in the humanities or social sciences.
- Doctoral work must relate to at least one of the Foundation’s Four Themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, People and their Natural Environment.
- Must be a Canadian citizen studying at a Canadian or foreign institution, or a non-Canadian (permanent resident or foreign national) enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution.
UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award
UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award is a merit and need-based scholarship meant for students who are planning their undergraduate degree course at The University of British Columbia in Canada. This scholarship programme aims to recognise and reward international undergraduate students who demonstrate superior academic achievement, leadership skills, involvement in student affairs and community service, and recognized achievement in other key areas. The value of the International Leader of Tomorrow Award is proportional to financial need. Financial need is determined by totaling tuition, fees, and living costs, and subtracting the financial contribution applicant and his family can make each year.
- Applicants must have passed High School.
- For Business courses: Mathematics (Standard XII Level)
- For Engineering courses: Math, Chemistry, and Physics (Standard XII Level)
- Applicants must be an international student who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian study permit.
- Applicants must be entering UBC from a recognized secondary school, college, or other universities.
- Applicants must be applying for your first undergraduate degree.
- Applicants must demonstrate superior academic achievement (at least an A average or equivalent standard).
- Applicants must demonstrate a level of financial need that would otherwise prevent him/her from pursuing a UBC degree.
- English Language Proficiency Proof.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog on Scholarships For Canadian University Students. If you wish to read more about Scholarships, here are some blogs that we think you will enjoy reading –
- Commonwealth Scholarships: All You Need To Know
- Scholarships in Europe For International Students
- Chevening Scholarship: Everything You Need To Know
You can find many scholarships like the ones mentioned in this blog and more on the UniScholarz website. Simply sign up for free today and start applying to your dream scholarships. If you need assistance with student accommodation and education loan, head over to UniAcco and UniCreds respectively, today.