We know how it feels when you have a dream of studying abroad but don’t have enough funds or you don’t find the right scholarships to support you financially. Either way, missing out on an opportunity to study in the best institutes in the Netherlands is not worth the wait. Netherlands scholarships for international students has made it possible for several students to accomplish their dream of studying abroad in 2021.
Growing Popularity of Netherlands Scholarships for International Students
Netherlands Scholarships offered to International students has increased the popularity of the Universities of the Netherlands. An increasing number of students want to study in the Netherlands because the cost of living and the tuition fees for several universities is affordable and high quality.
The Netherlands/Holland Government Scholarships 2021/22
This is a fully-funded scholarship in the Netherlands for international students. Funded by the Dutch Ministry, the program is held under the Orange Knowledge Program (OKP). The program aims at funding both domestic and international students who want to pursue their Bachelor’s or master in the Netherlands. With this scholarship, the government of the Netherlands aims to ensure society’s sustainable and inclusive development.
Who can apply for the OKP Scholarships?
- Candidates residing or nationals of any of the following countries are eligible to apply for this scholarship in the Netherlands:
- Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Colombia, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Liberia, Mali, Mozambique, Myanmar, Niger, Nigeria, Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Suriname, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Vietnam, Yemen and Zambia
Which courses and universities can you study in under OKP?
- You can apply for a scholarship under the OKP scheme for several courses.
- More than 20 universities in the Netherlands allow students to apply for this scholarship
- You must first find your course and the preferred university to apply for OKP.
Deadlines for OKP 2021
- Round 1: 3rd February to 23rd March 2021
This is for short courses that start between 26th July and 21st November 2021.
- Round 2: 12th May to 29th June 2021
This is for the short courses that start between 22nd November and 20th February 2021.
- Round 3: 1st September to 12th October 2021
This is for the short courses that start after 21st February 2022 and ending before 31st August 2022.
Application Procedure for Orange Knowledge Program
- You must first register with your university.
- The need for this scholarship should be mentioned in your application
- Your university will then nominate candidates based on the application you have submitted
- The embassy will then assess your application based on their eligibility criteria
- The selection is done in 2 to 3 weeks by the embassy
- Grants are subsequently awarded
What are the expenses covered under OKP?
- Full tuition fees
- Living expenses
- Visa Fee
- Medical Insurance
- Travel grants
Learn how to get the best loans & student housing by clicking on the banners!
Utrecht Excellence Scholarships for International Students
This is one of the best Netherlands scholarships for international students. Utrecht University aims to provide scholarships for the Netherlands masters degree. However, the scholarship is valid only for a selected number of fields. Every year approximately 20 students are awarded this scholarship. However, for the year 2021-22, Utrecht University aims to award this scholarship to 20-25 students.
Eligibility for Utrecht Excellence Scholarship:
- You must belong to the top 10% of your graduating class. For this, you must provide evidence from your college/university such as a certificate, letter of recommendation that is stamped by your graduating institution.
- Additionally, you must not be a citizen of EEA or EU
- Completed your secondary school or Bachelor’s Degree outside the Netherlands.
- Have applied for a Master’s program with a start date of 1st September 2021.
What does Utrecht Excellence Scholarship Cover?
- Full Tuition Fees
- Tuition fees plus €11,000 living expenses.
Holland Scholarship 2021 | Netherlands Scholarships for International Students
Netherlands scholarships for international students such as the Holland Scholarship is funded by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science. There are more than 60 countries that offer Holland Scholarships in the Netherlands. However, international students who don’t belong to the EU and EEA nationals are eligible to apply. By 2021, The Dutch Ministry of education aims to award 22 students with this scholarship.
Eligibility Criteria for Holland Scholarship 2021:
- You are a non-EU/EEA National. Only other international students are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Have never studied in the Netherlands before. Neither have you been enrolled into a Netherlands university before.
- Before applying for this scholarship, you must enrol yourself into a Master’s course in any of the universities that offer Holland scholarships.
- Your course must not be virtual or distance learning.
Expenses Covered under Holland Scholarships:
- The amount of the scholarship can be €5,000, €10,000 or €15,000.
- This amount is received only in the first year of the program.
- If your program is for 2 years, the scholarship must be renewed.
Selection Criteria for Holland Scholarships:
- You are first assessed based on your academic performance and background.
- Moreover, you must demonstrate how your choice of field of study aligns with your plans.
- You must also demonstrate a need for financial assistance or support
- Lastly, you must comply with terms and conditions to obtain a Dutch visa/residence permit.
Looking for ways to fund your education abroad? Ask the UniCreds education counsellors what the best way to get education loans is with or without collateral.
VU Amsterdam Fellowship Programme for International Students
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers international students scholarships for a Netherlands masters degree. The scholarship is only applicable for courses taught in English.
Eligibility for VUFP:
- You must prove your academic excellence by scoring a GPA of 80%
- Apply for an English taught programme at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam – starting September 2021
- Must not be a Dutch National.
- Your previous degrees should not be from the Netherlands.
Expenses covered under VUFP:
- This scholarship covers a full tuition fee, however, does not provide a stipend for living expenses.
- The scholarship amount will only be provided for the first year of study. To extend the scholarship to the 2nd year of study, you must renew it.
We hope you liked reading our blog on The Top Netherlands Scholarships for International Students. If you are interested in knowing more about scholarships from around the world, the following may help you:
- The most epic subjects in the Arts Stream
- The PhD scholarships in the Netherlands
- The best scholarships for Canadian students
- Top Computer Science scholarships for International students
Get Personalised Counselling Expert