Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport, Science and Technology provides scholarships to international students. This provides an opportunity to hundreds of students from overseas to live and study in Japan. There are four types of scholarships that the Japanese government provides, these are:
Japanese Studies Scholarships for undergraduate students.
Research student scholarships for college students who want to research a specific field.
Specialised Training Scholarship for high school graduates.
Undergraduate Student Scholarship for overseas undergraduate students wanting to study in Japan.
Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS) invites students from Canada, USA, UK, Germany, Sweden to conduct and collaborate with researchers in Japan. With an opportunity given to young research professionals as well as seasoned scientists. This is one of the most famous scholarships to study in Japan and is well known among international students.
JSPS International Fellowship for Research
For students with an excellent record of research, Japan Society for Promotion of Sciences helps students carry out collaborative research and exchange of opinions from overseas with researchers in Japan. This scholarship aims to increase the promotion of science and technology in Japan and encourage internationalisation. The society grants a number of fellowships for short term and long term:
JSPS International Fellowship for Research in Japan offers two types of fellowships:
- Post Doctoral Research in Japan: This scholarship is for budding researchers who want to expand their research experience and knowledge. To help students maximise the benefits offered by JSPS, the society offers a summer programme, strategic program, short-term program and standard programs. Additionally, JSPS also provides a pathway to university positions in Japan through this fellowship.
- The other program offered by JSPS is Invitational Fellowships for Research in Japan which is for senior researchers and in the middle of their careers. This fellowship may be granted to seasoned researchers in the form of short term or long term fellowships.
Eligibility for JSPS International Fellowship
To avail this scholarship to study in Japan, the eligibility criteria is as follows:
- Nationality: Candidate must be a citizen of the UK, USA, Sweden or Canada. Students from other nationalities may apply if they are approved by the nominating authority of one of the mentioned countries).
- Academic Status: Candidates must fulfil at least one of the following requirements:
-Hold a doctorate degree before the commencement of the program.
-Be enrolled in a university graduate program.
- Candidates must show evidence of being accepted by their host researcher and are requested to gain this acceptance prior to applying for the program.
- Candidates must demonstrate their willingness to become future researchers.
The financial support provided by the JSPS International Fellowship covers the following :
- Maintenance allowance of 64 days which is worth ¥534,000
- Overseas Travel Insurance
- Air Ticket Fare
- An option to cover the research allowance
Strategic Program for Researchers from India | Scholarships to Study in Japan
This program aims to build a new network between the next generation of post doctoral researchers of India and Japan. The program has been conducted under the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) based on the agreed guidelines set by the Government of India and the Department of Science and Technology.
The fellowship targets to support researchers in the field of sciences from India. The tenure of this fellowship will last from 2 to 6 months.
Eligibility for Strategic Program for Researchers from India:
- Postdoctoral scientists, researchers or faculty members working in a University Grants Commission (UGC) recognised university/institution or national research and development institute in a regular capacity. They must also have a PhD in Science that they must have received 6 years before applying to the program and are actively engaged in a research activity.
- Candidates who have been accepted by the host researchers in advance.
Financial Support that will be provided:
- Monthly allowance of ¥362,000
- Researchers in India must contact the INSA.
If you are looking for options to fund your studies abroad, UniCreds is here to help you find the best option to fund your dreams. Offering students to study in countries all around the world, Unicreds has partnered with international players such as HDFC Credila, Avanse, Incred and ICICI Bank.
Freeman-Asia Scholarship | Scholarships to Study in Japan
This is a need based scholarship for undergraduate students from the USA who need financial support for their tertiary education. These students must want to study abroad in South and Southeast Asia. Since 2001, Freeman-ASIA has made it possible for 5,000 American undergraduate students to study abroad in over 600 Asian institutes. The aim of this scholarship is to increase the collaboration and understanding between Asia and the USA.
- Candidates must be an American citizen or a permanent resident at the time of application.
- Candidates must be able to provide evidence for requiring financial assistance or support. For this purpose, the candidate must submit an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC).
- The candidate must be an undergraduate student with a minimum GPA of 2.8 pursuing their first bachelor’s degree.
- Must apply through the U.S. home campus and have at least one term of enrollment remaining at the home institution in the U.S. upon returning from studying abroad in Asia.
- Must have little or no experience in the country they aim to study in.
- Must not be a previous recipient of this scholarship.
Thank you for reading our blog on Scholarships to study in Japan. If you wish to know more about the university scholarships from around the world, read:
- PhD Scholarships In Australia
- Importance Of Scholarships For Indian Students
- How To Write A Winning Scholarship Essay
Get Personalised Counselling Expert