There are several reasons why we love the UK. This country has one of the most impressive higher education systems in the world, degrees and qualifications that are recognised by employers and academics worldwide and one of the most stable and concentrated student accommodation systems in the world. Thousands of international students aim to study in the UK every year, and with the number of scholarships up for grabs this year, we expect this number to rise even further. Out of all the scholarships in the UK, the Chevening Scholarship program stands tall. This blog will speak about the Chevening Scholarship in great detail, so sit back and relax, and take in everything we have to say about the wonderful Chevening Scholarship for international students.
Chevening Scholarship | At A Glance
Applicable to – International students studying at a university in the UK.
Provided by – Chevening
Course level – Masters.
Open to – Selected countries.
Funding – Full Funding that covers Tuition fees, Monthly stipend, Travel costs to and from the UK, Arrival allowance.
Introduction To Chevening Scholarships
The Chevening Scholarship program is a Masters scholarship program for students enrolled at an accredited university in the UK. This is a fully-funded scholarship, which means that the cost of tuition, travel, visa, insurance etc will be taken care of by the scholarship. Moreover, recipients of the Chevening Scholarship will receive a monthly stipend and arrival allowance. The Chevening Scholarships are awarded only to students who are from Chevening-eligible countries. You can find more information about the Chevening eligible country later on in this blog.
Get one step closer to getting your education loan and student accommodation by clicking on the banners in this blog.
Why Chevening Scholarship?
The Chevening Scholarship should be your go-to scholarship if you have aspirations of studying in the UK. This is one of the most dependable scholarship programs in the world and is funded by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Students who possess excellent leadership qualities from around the world have a good chance of winning this fully-funded scholarship to the UK. Being a postgraduate level scholarship, the Chevening Scholarship accepts applications from students who intend to pursue their Master’s in the UK.
Apart from scholarship, Chevening also offers fellowships. Chevening Fellowships are important as they are offered to mid-career professionals who are already in leadership and influential positions for further development in their respective fields.
Chevening Scholarship Criteria
The Chevening Scholarship is one of the most sought after scholarship programs among international students who wish to study in the UK. Naturally, the competition is quite fierce. To make matters even more challenging, there is a set of specific eligibility criteria to apply for the Chevening Scholarships. The requirements are as follows –
- Applicants must exhibit excellent leadership skills and proven track record of professional excellence.
- Applicants must be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a UK second-class honors degree 2:1.
- Applicants must be willing to return to their home country for a minimum of two years after their scholarship has ended.
- Applicants must meet the Chevening English language requirements.
- Applicants must apply to three different eligible UK university courses and have received an offer from those universities.
- Applicants must have at least two years of work experience in their chosen field of work.
There are also certain Chevening Scholarship conditions, that if not met, can result in ineligibility to apply for the scholarship.
Applicants must not apply for the Chevening Scholarship if –
- They hold British or dual British citizenship.
- They are an employee or a former employee or a relative of a former employee of Her Majesty’s Government (since July 2014) or a staff member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- They have previously received funding from any other UK government scholarship program.
There are also certain conditions laid down by Chevening for ‘scholarship termination’. Applicants can have their scholarships terminated in the event of –
- Dismissal from the university.
- Breach of UK law and practices.
- Failure to make progress in studies.
- Misconduct, whether in connection with your study or otherwise.
List of countries that are eligible for the Chevening Scholarship Program
The Chevening Scholarship is open to students in over 160 countries and territories around the world. Here are some of the most popular countries that are eligible for Chevening Scholarships –
List Of Universities In UK That Accept Chevening Scholarships
|Bangor University||Birkbeck, University of London||Bournemouth University||Bournemouth University|
|Brunel University London||Coventry University||Cranfield University||Durham University|
|London School of Economics & Political Science (LSE)||Newcastle University||Oxford University Diplomatic Studies Programme||Queen Mary University of London|
|Robert Gordon University||St George’s, University of London||Swansea University||University of Bath|
|University of Birmingham||University of Bradford||University of Bristol||University of Cambridge|
|University of Central Lancashire||University of Dundee||University of East Anglia||University of Exeter|
|University of Glasgow||University of Leeds||University of Nottingham||University of Oxford|
|University of Reading||University of Salford||University of South Wales||University of Southampton|
|University of Stirling||University of Surrey||University of Sussex||University of Warwick|
How To Apply For A Chevening Scholarship?
Depending on the award chosen by the applicant, the application process for Chevening Scholarships for Indian and Foreign students can differ greatly. The entire process of selecting a beneficiary of a Chevening Scholarship takes a period of eight months from the deadline of the application to the conditional selection of the beneficiaries for the award. Here are the main steps involved in applying for a Chevening Scholarship –
- Applications need to be made through online mode.
- Applicants need to register on the Chevening website and receive notifications from Chevening.
- Since the application form has no auto-save functionality, applicants are advised to save regularly as each session closes after 60 minutes.
- Fill in the details regarding Academic IELTS, Pearson PTE Academic or TOEFL iBT test including the scores that you achieved for each component and your test report or certificate number.
- The application form will ask you to state three UK universities and courses in order of your preference.
- Two valid references in letter format written in English should be uploaded to your application form in PDF format and should be within 5MB.
- Enter your contact details accurately.
- The Chevening scholarship application form asks a set of questions which should be answered by you and each answer should not exceed 50 words.
- Once the application is submitted, the shortlisted candidates will be asked to attend the interview.
Some Important Points Regarding The Chevening Scholarship UK
Getting Your Referral Right
Referrals are an important part of the Chevening Scholarships application process. These references come into play only if applicants make it to the next round after submission. While choosing a referee, candidates should carefully study the guidelines set down by the scholarship board. According to the guidelines, a referee should be an individual who can comment on the candidate’s general suitability to receive the Chevening Award. Referees should be known to the student, either in an academic or professional capacity. They cannot be a relative or close personal friend of the applicant.
The Interview Round
Applicants who get shortlisted for the interview for the Chevening Scholarship would be required to attend the interview in a city where the British embassy or high commission has a representation. It is recommended that applicants book their interview slots as soon as possible, as slots are given on a first-come first-served basis. Once the applicant has scheduled his/her interview, he/she would receive a booking confirmation email. Do note that the slot cannot be changed. While face-to-face interviews are mandatory, Skype interviews are also permitted, but only in exceptional circumstances.
Chevening Scholarship English Language Test
One of the key eligibility criteria for applying to the Chevening Scholarship is the Chevening English language requirement. Applicants are free to take as many tests as they want in order to meet the Chevening English language requirement. However, the cost incurred from the English language test has to be borne by the applicant alone. The Chevening Scholarship accepts English language test scores from five providers, namely –
- IELTS Academic
- PTE Academic
- C1 Advanced (formerly Cambridge English: Advanced [CAE])
- Trinity ISE II (B2)
British Chevening Scholarship Course Selection
As a part of the Chevening application form, applicants are required to select three different Master’s courses. These three selections can be made at the same university or three similar courses across up to three different institutions. Students are advised to choose their three courses carefully as they will not be able to change their course choices after submitting their applications. Do note that in order to be eligible, the courses must be a UK based full-time course, should commence in the autumn term (usually September/October), and lead to a Master’s degree qualification.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. If you wish to read more about Scholarships, here are some blogs that we think you will enjoy reading –
- Scholarships in Europe For International Students
- The Best Study Abroad Scholarship For Indian Students
You can find many scholarships like the Chevening Scholarship and more on the UniScholarz website. Simply sign up for free today and start applying to your dream scholarships. If you need assistance with student accommodation and education loan, head over to UniAcco and UniCreds respectively, today.